Leaderboard

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sunshine On My Shoulders Makes Me Happy!

Visited Whole Foods Market today and learned something I never knew. I spoke to the fish monger and asked what was the mildest salmon he had in the counter. He told me that the Sockeye was always going to be the strongest flavor and Alaskan would be the mildest. Good to know since I am trying to add more Vitamin D to my family's diet.
Last week I learned that  65 - 75% of Americans have some level of Vit D deficiency. According to many sources the best way to get the Vitamin D is to spend some face time in the sun. There is a fine line between how long before you put sunblock on because it will block the needed rays from doing their Vitamin D duty. Best guess I'm hearing is 15 - 20 min is enough unprotected then we need to apply sunblock. Next to sunlight is supplements then diet but there are limited foods rich in Vit D mostly milk, egg yolks, and fortified cereals, then soy tofu, and mushrooms. A good multivitamin is not a bad idea. So get outside and be active it's fun and healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment